Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Please help....my 1998 Camry is leaking oil badly....?

I have a 1998 Camry almost 170,000 miles on it...it is used to travel back and forth to work round trip 90+ miles. It is now leaking oil badly..so badly I have to put a quart of oil in every 3 days, my driveway is stained with oil.



...I have seen oil come out of the bottom of the oil filter when I start up the engine.



...the oil change place says it is a %26quot;Valve cover gasket%26quot; leaking...



Please assist by telling me what your opinion as to what the problem may be based upon your experience. How much is it to fix a valve cover gasket.



.....also do oil additives work and are safe, the ones that supposedly stop leaks. Thank you for your help.



...note the oil change place says that oil is not coming out of the bottom of the oil filer,...however I seen it for myself, but there was also oil coming out of the back of the engine too supposedly where the gasket valve cover was...Please help....my 1998 Camry is leaking oil badly....?
the valve covers leaking could be it, the blow by of the oil could end up anywhere.



Fix the gasket yourself, less than $20, take it somewhere, probably $125.00 on up.Please help....my 1998 Camry is leaking oil badly....?
Replace the filter and eliminate that. Take it for a second opinion, sounds like they told you what is wrong but you'd rather keep spending money on oil rather than fixing what's wrong.Please help....my 1998 Camry is leaking oil badly....?
no much not a big deal there real cheap from aftermarket

you can do it yourself just get the appropriate tools its just unscrewing and disconnecting wires to make room real simple youll get dirty but save moneyPlease help....my 1998 Camry is leaking oil badly....?
On your way home, when the engine is at operating temperature, pull into the car wash and use the high pressure with soap. Do not spray directly at electronic or electric components, but along the valve covers, down the block, around the pan and filters as best you can. Drive it home and look for fresh oil. There are also spray cleaners that work, but cost a bit more. After washing, if the car doesn't want to restart, let it sit 5 minutes with the hood up and try again.



Bad cover gaskets can be the problem. The oil is blown to the back of the engine and runs down where it is protected from the fan blast. If this is the case, most likely the oil pan gasket is the same age. Where the oil comes from tells where the problem is, look at the source and not the drip.