Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do i access the valve covers on a 1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L engine?

My car is running hot and I believe it is because of a blown gasket, maybe the valve cover (oil looks like it's leaking out of the sides). I changed the thermostat, flushed the radiator and the fan is working. After starting my car and driving it until it ran hot, I noticed that the coolant in the overflow tank was bubbling.

I took the big metal piece off on top ( I believe it's called a manifold vacuum) and I can reach the valve covers. There are two on each side. The only thing in the way now are these black rubber hoses that lead into the valve covers. There are three on each side and the one in the middle on each side has another thin hose connected to it that won't allow me to pull them out. I tried to put everything back together but the two middle ones won't go back in. I HOPE I didn't mess anything up. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice. I don't have the money to get it fixed. I know a little bit about cars but I have never been in an engine before.How do i access the valve covers on a 1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L engine?
I've never been in an engine before either - too big of a guy. Anywho, its not anything to do with the valve covers - so forget about those. I think you are right about the headgasket being blown - however, you have to removed the heads (and yes, the valve covers do come before the heads), but unless you are REALLY good with engines, a headgasket is not an hour fix.