Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1995 Dodge Caravan Base 6 cyl. 3.0 ltr. engine timing problem?

Had an oil leak with valve cover and distributor adaptor (front cam). I have changed out the o-ring and 2 seals, valve cover gasket and plug, I marked the cam to head, distributor to adaptor, and rotor button to distributor before removing anything. I marked the spark plug wires to rotor cap. When replacing the camshaft gear the timing belt was moved. When I lined all my marks back up and torqued everything down, the engine will not crank. It turns over but does not engage. I have fire coming form coil wire. My brother -in - law came over and helped me turn the engine to top dead center and we placed the rotor button at firing order 1 plug. Still engine will turn over but will not engage (crank). My question is. How would I go about resetting both front and rear cams with engine set to top dead center. I believe when my ex was putting the timing belt back on, the rear camshaft was turned. So I need to get the engine back to top dead center and make sure the front and rear camshaft gears are in time as well. Please help. Cannot make heads or tails from my Haynes with this problem1995 Dodge Caravan Base 6 cyl. 3.0 ltr. engine timing problem?
try this web site they have a pic and a diagram of that engine for the timing specs,good luck, http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochu1995 Dodge Caravan Base 6 cyl. 3.0 ltr. engine timing problem?
your welcome,fun isn't the word to begin with now on it,if its got bent valves its going to be expensive to repair it,i hope its ok though,good luck.

Report Abuse

1995 Dodge Caravan Base 6 cyl. 3.0 ltr. engine timing problem?
go to dodge dealer [I know before you curse me...and them] the parts dept of dealers should NOT be lumped in with rest of hated operation,,,parts dept people are smarter and friendlier,,they will impart wisdom for free...



I know what you mean about haynes,,i prefer chilton but since they are now owned by same co they both such equally